Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Boobies, Babies, and Bodies

It has been an inappropriate day at Harding Academy Pre-K. I started the morning by attempting to explain what boobies are for... My explanation was that they help feed babies when they are born, which then prompted the question, "Well, did you used to have a baby?"
Me: "No, I don't have a baby."
Boy: "But did you used to have one?"
Me: "No, I didn't used to have one."
Boy: "....oh." So what I get from that is that I'm not supposed to have boobs because I don't have a baby, since that's what they're for. Oh brother. 

Then, at recess, half of my class (one boy included in the count) were pregnant, aka put balls under their shirts and pretended they had "babies in their bellies". At random moments during play, they would birth the babies, and come running up to me to proudly show their baby/ball off. I asked each girl what kind of baby they had, meaning boy or girl. One girl had a purple one, another had a blue baby and another had an orange one. The little pregnant boy didn't really want to chat about his baby, but did tell me he had bad labor pains when I asked. Poor guy.

And to close the afternoon, as I was trying to wake up booby boy from rest, I look over in the direction of the bathroom to find a half naked child standing there attempting to get the entire class's attention. Thankfully, everyone was extra concentrated on their weaving project and didn't notice. I rushed over and whisked him back into the bathroom, as he laughed the whole way there and while I told him that he must pull his pants up before re-entering the classroom. Definitely avoided an interesting show and tell. Yikes!

What a day!!

No comments: