Thursday, October 14, 2010

Impairments

Today, I was helping our poor, broken legged friend in the bathroom, which just means I help her balance in between pulling her pants up and down. Her bloomers got stuck on her cast because she insisted on pulling them all the way down, over her cast. (Ok, kid, do what you want.) So, being the kind teacher I am, I help her pull the bloomers up, and she exclaims, "Wait! My panties are giving me a wedgie!" (Imagine a high, little girl voice declaring her personal discomfort...)

This may not be the funniest comment that will ever be uttered in the classroom, or the most creative, what makes this more than just funny is, that one, she is a little girl. Second, I have tried the last 2 years, while working as an after school care provider at the Academy, to figure out when kids start learning about wedgies. My vast research based off of interviews I personally conducted, concluded that most kids between 3 and 5 have no clue what 'wedgies' are, and if they are familiar with the term, they don't know what it means or what action must be taken to give/have a wedgie. One child out of, at least, 60 that I interrogated knew how to explain wedgies to me, and it wasn't this little girl.

No comments: