Thursday, November 4, 2010

Pocahontas

 Since it's now November, and we have a new theme in the classroom-- Thanksgiving, it seems somewhat appropriate to watch Pocahontas. That may have been a wrong assumption based off the reaction I witnessed this afternoon. During the part where Kocuom sneaks up on Pocahontas and John Smith and the scuffle ensues, then Kocuom gets shot...whew...I heard this little whimper directly behind me, basically in my ear, of one of the little girls. (in a whisper) "Oh no, he is dead. He is killed!". As she is whimpering about the dead Indian warrior, another little girl, Tess*, began to exclaim, "Oh dear! Pocahontas's necklace is......broken!" What extreme reactions! :)

Also during the movie, while watching Gov. Rattcliff was ranting about savages, another little girls says to me, "I think he should get a yellow card. He is not being kind." Of course there was a chorus of "He needs a yellow card!" from all the other kids. I think they're learning.

*Name changed

No comments: