Monday, May 9, 2011

Asking the Right Questions

I was able to have a delightful chat with one of the girls, Amanda, who I usually don't have the opportunity to have one-on-one time. During recess, she needed to stand by me for whatever reason (not because she was in trouble), so I took advantage of that, scooped her up and we had a nice long talk. Some of the highlights that are appropriate:

She is the only child in this class who admits to being small. Everyone else is insistent they are big, not Ashley. A:"I'm not really big, I'm just little."
Me: How do you know you're little?
A: Because I wear small undies. (Side note: she and her sister will never use the word panties, no matter how many times it is said around them, they are always quick to correct that blunder. "Silly, girls wear undies!") And my mom has undies, but my dad doesn't.
Me: (hiding my laughter) Oh.
A: And, you gotta change your undies to clean after they're dirty.
Me: How do you know when they're dirty?
A: You have them on and then they're dirty.
Me: Huh, good thinking.

Then the subject got switched to who is the boss... :)
Me: Does Amanda act bossy to you at home sometimes?
A: No.
Me: Well, that's good. Who is the boss, then?
A: My dad.
Me: How do you know he's the boss?
A: Because he gets the ice cream--balella (vanilla)
Me: Oh, is your mom the boss, too?
A: No, but she finishes the ice cream.

A conversation well worth my time. Ha 

No comments: